Ninetysix and ten ... is now at WordPress!

Monday, May 01, 2006

the gaelic for ouch

Since I have no idea how to spell it, I'll give a stab at a phonetic transcription: the Gaelic for ouch is: [ɤ:v].

Just for completeness, and to be honest, just to show off my newly acquired ability to make IPA symbols appear out of HTML, a rough transcription of (Scottish) ouch would be [ʌʉʧ].

A related piece of linguistic trivia is the variation in onomatopoeia across languages. The trusty old textbook which I've had since first year gives the following examples.





(O'Grady et al 1996, p159)


I also want to write a post sometime soon on the issue of where different regional accents come from, but first I have to quickly read up on some stuff, just to make sure I make sense.

1 Comments:

  • just fascinating!! what about the frenc? i think they spell it ooouu mes digot!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:36 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home