Ninetysix and ten ... is now at WordPress!

Monday, July 24, 2006

autochthonous onomastic material

Yep, this is what I've been finding out about today, in between spoonerising two-syllable words and recording men with Glasgow accents.

As soon as I read the sentence I just thought: ah yes, a word with four consecutive consonants. Haven't seen one of them in a while. And then I thought: What an excellent title that would be for a blog.

After a bit of work with the dictionary, it turns out that onomastics has to do with the names of people and places, while something that's autochthonic involves native/indigenous things. Knowing that the Cilicians were a non-Semitic group of people living in Asia Minor in some of the centuries BC, you should now have all the information you need in order to decipher this sentence:

"... the Phoenician writing system. It had been adopted by the Cilicians, but
they used it only for writing inscriptions in Phoenician which contain
authochthonous onomastic material."
Swiggers, P (1996), 'Transmission of the Phoenician script to the West.' In Daniels & Bright (eds), The World's Writing Systems. OUP

Which would presumably be similar to you and me using Japanese characters to write the name of Tokyo.

Meanwhile, some fun spoonerisms I've discovered:
  • deer, park -> peer, dark
  • daisy, log -> lazy, dog
  • gifted, sally -> sifted, galley

Anyone got any more?

2 Comments:

  • "similar to you and me using Japanese characters to write the name of Tokyo."... Speak for yourself, I couldn't do that.......but I could have a stab at writing autochthonous in Greek characters, in which case it would only have two consecutive consonants, chi, and theta!

    By Blogger PeterinScotland, at 11:46 pm  

  • I know I know :)

    here's another exciting spoonerism:

    weight rage >> wage rate

    (Bonus points for pairs with two syllables btw, and EXTRA bonus points if they both begin with a cluster of consonants.)

    Btw Peter have u voted in my Bebo poll yet?

    By Blogger cath, at 4:41 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home