Ninetysix and ten ... is now at WordPress!

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

snippets from gurnall

The Christian in Complete Armour is a huge volume and looks so daunting that it never used to cross my mind to open it.

The first time I did open it was due to it being the only book left in someone's bookshelf as they packed up their flat in a flitting. They probably planned to use it to squash a bulging suitcase shut later, or something. When I did have a look though, I thought it was really excellent - it was directly relevant to what I needed to read at the time, and sprinkled throughout with so many brief everyday metaphors, to do with kitchens and gardening and nurseries and things, which meant that its major metaphor - the Christian's armour and warfare, based on Ephesians 6 - didn't get too wearisome.

The only problem is that I've never subsequently been able to remember whereabouts I was reading that was so helpful. It was only a few pages I got through, and there were something like two books of 400 pages combined in the single volume my friend had.

Anyway, I was dipping into it again the other day (another friend's copy this time) and found something which reminded me of the piece by Dickson which I quoted before:

"Sincerity shows itself in the Christian's plainheartedness to confess all his sins freely, without extorting, and nakedly, without extenuation or reservation - when there is no false box in the cabinet of the soul to lock up a darling sin in."

He went on to say a few pages later, "It is not possible that a Christian should walk loosely all day, and be free and familiar with God at night." He spoke a lot about taking care to prepare for going to pray, reminding yourself what you're about to do before you actually get down to it, as well as trying to make sure you keep up an atmosphere of prayerfulness all day long, as much as possible. "He that watcheth his heart all day, is most likely to find it at hand and in time for prayer at night. Whereas, loose walking breeds lazy praying."

I have the feeling that the complete work might be available in separate volumes? which would make it easier to handle. These quotes came from p293, 296 and 362 of the single big volume.

3 Comments:

  • Cath: Actually, Gurnall's big work is also available from the Banner of Truth Trust (or used to be) in three paperback volumes. However, I think that (1) it's an abridged version with (2) the language dumbed down somewhat (though I could be wrong about that). If it's out of print, you can probably find some used copies somewhere. Richard Zuelch

    By Blogger richard zuelch, at 1:53 am  

  • Hello! OK, you have spurred me on. Next time I am ready to start a new book I will pick it up instead of by-passing it because of its 'dauntingness'. Hope you have no ill effects after yesterday's exertions!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:58 am  

  • Richard, thanks for confirming a suspicion that was lurking at the back of my mind! I seem to remember taking a look at someone's collection of the separate volumes, and not being overly impressed.

    Meanwhile, Sheena, happy to report no ill effects of yesterday, except i do fear that the global market in a certain handy liquid may be about to experience something of a slump over the next few months. We shall have to deal with that if it arises however!

    By Blogger cath, at 11:51 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home