Ninetysix and ten ... is now at WordPress!

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

sleeping rough

This isn't what I'd intended my next post to be about, but you'll be interested (I'm sure) to know that I successfully managed to lock myself out of my flat on Monday and have only just got back in again.

Yes, it was all fun here, since my fellow occupants were located in a tent somewhere off the other side of the country, and it also happened to be the week that the two other people who have copies were out of town (to put it mildly).

It had struck me on Monday that by the time I write up my thesis, my Acknowledgements section will have to run to pages to capture a little of how much I owe to other people's generosity. (You know who you are..!) On Monday night, I thought I might as well devote a whole chapter to The Things Other People Do For Me. This was brought on by the fact that the friend I phoned (from the office phone, since my mobile battery was running down and my charger was, oh, locked inside my flat) not only agreed to let me stay overnight but offered to put me up the next night as well, when I was only obsessing about the logistics of travelling to the other side of the country to collect a pair of keys from the nearest, and yet so far away person who had a set, all before meeting my supervisor in the afternoon. And she even lent me some shampoo - which, I admit, officially means I was most definitely not sleeping rough.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, in particular the multiple amusing episodes with my ineptitude with borrowed alarm clocks, the long-awaited hand-over took place this evening when one of the key-bearers returned from their trip across the Atlantic today. My flat has never seemed so attractive (and neither, for that matter, has my phone charger). Maybe by tomorrow I'll manage to write something substantive, but meantime I'm being grateful for so many things, and plotting how soon I can make it to Timpsons, just to get one more extra precautionary set cut...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home